Friday 13 February 2015

Shaking the dust off: thoughts on leaving a mainline denomination

Excerpted from a reflection by 'Hal', who wrote this (part of a longer journal entry) after finally deciding to stop attending worship services. Like myself he was raised in the Lutheran tradition, so Albrecht Durer's "praying hands" seemed an appropriate illustration. This is his perception of the 'domesticated faith' he is leaving behind.
And now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
That while He overturns the tables
I may content myself with fables
That while He throws the merchants out
I may be spared from any doubt
Christ crucified, oh that's a shame
At least I'm spared from all such pain
To snuggle down with piety
While others set the captives free

As Hal rather whimsically asks; do I hear an Amen?

No comments:

Post a Comment